27th Annual Ales Open Info
Registration is closed.
Entry registration is closed.
The Ale and Lager Enthusiasts are proud to to host the 27th Annual Ales Open on April 13 to 18th! The purpose of our competition is to promote homebrewing and beer appreciation. We invite all homebrewers to submit their homebrewed beer, mead, and cider for judging under the 2015 BJCP style guidelines.
Each beer entry needs to be registered on the competition website:
If you have questions about registration, send them to email@example.com
1. Only one entry per beer style or BJCP subcategory. If there is more than one beer style in a BJCP category, you can enter one beer for each substyle. The only exception to this rule is category 27A Historical Beer, where we are allowing 2 entries per subcategory per entrant
2. Initially, there will be 2 entries per person. After a week, the limit will be increased to 6 per person. There is a total limit of 650 entries for this competition. Only PAID entries will be counted towards the limit cap!
3. We will be judging based on the 2015 BJCP Guidlines. Entries are judged under the beer style/sub-category you specify on your registration form. Make sure you pick the right style! Complete style descriptions can be found online at http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2015_Guidelines_Beer.pdf
4. While all entries will be judged based on the 2015 BJCP guidelines, all entries will be sorted into categories based on 2016 National Homebrew Competition Style Guidelines.
5. A minimum score of 30 must be obtained to qualify for a medal in any category.
6. This a homebrew competition - so no commercial brews please (this includes beer brewed on equipment for commercial research, production, brew-on-premises establishments, or anything of that nature). All-grain brews, beer from kits, and extract methods are all welcome.
7. All decisions by the competition organizers are final. Entries will be judged between the April 13 and April 18th. Results will be announced at the Ale Open Closing Ceremonies. Results will be posted on the BrewHQ website (www.brewhq.ca) shortly after the event. They will posted no later than Tuesday April 21/2020.
8. The competition committee reserves the right to combine overall style categories based on number of entries. All possible effort will be made to combine similar styles. All brews in combined categories will be judged according to the style they were originally entered in.
9. Qualified judging of all entries is the primary goal of our event. Judges will evaluate and score each entry. The average of the scores will rank each entry in its category. Each flight will have at least one BJCP judge.
10. The competition organizers are not responsible for mis-categorized entries, mailed entries that are not received by the entry deadline, or entries that arrived damaged.
Registration will be open on March 8, 2020 and will close on April 9, 2020. The deadline for receiving entries and fee payment is 18:00 on April 9, 2020.
We require two standard bottles of homebrewed beer, mead, or cider per entry. Bottles will not be returned.
Each entry will consist of 300ml to 500ml capped bottles or corked bottles that are void of all identifying information, including labels and embossing. Printed caps are allowed, but must be blacked out completely. 341ml brown glass bottles are preferred; however, green and clear glass will be accepted. We prefer standard size bottles as they fit nicely in our sorting crates. Sure you can send us a 2 litre bottle, but we are only going to judge a few ounces and the sin of wasted homebrew is on your hands.
Please print and tape beer labels directly to your entry securely with packing tape.
Please pack all entries in a plastic lined sturdy shipping box. Ensure all bottled are secure and wrapped in bubble wrap for shipping. We are not responsible for damaged, missing, or late entries. We will try to contact entrants should anything happen to their entries so a replacement can be sent. If a replacement cannot be sent, we will still judge a single bottle; however, it will not be sent to the BOS round should it win a gold. We cannot judge entries that we do not receive.
The entry fee is $8 per entry. Fees can be paid by PayPal only as this allows the software to mark your entries as paid. Cash and cheques will not be accepted.
Entries may be dropped off or delivered to:
2206 Dewdney Ave
*** All entries must arrive by the designated deadline. All entries that fail to arrive on time will not be accepted and there will be no refunds. Plan ahead and ship earlier to avoid delays ***
BJCP 2015 Judging Styles
If a style's name is hyperlinked, it has specific entry requirements. Click or tap on the name to view the subcategory's requirements.
|1A American Light Lager||1B American Lager||1C Cream Ale|
|1D American Wheat Beer||2A International Pale Lager||2B International Amber Lager|
|2C International Dark Lager||3A Czech Pale Lager||3B Czech Premium Pale Lager|
|3C Czech Amber Lager||3D Czech Dark Lager||4A Munich Helles|
|4B Festbier||4C Helles Bock||5A German Leichtbier|
|5B Kolsch||5C German Exportbier||5D German Pils|
|6A Marzen||6B Rauchbier||6C Dunkels Bock|
|7A Vienna Lager||7B Altbier||7C Kellerbier|
|8A Munich Dunkel||8B Schwarzbier||9A Doppelbock|
|9B Eisbock||9C Baltic Porter||10A Weissbier|
|10B Dunkels Weissbier||10C Weizenbock||11A Ordinary Bitter|
|11B Best Bitter||11C Strong Bitter||12A English Golden Ale|
|12B Australian Sparkling Ale||12C English IPA||13A Dark Mild|
|13B English Brown Ale||13C English Porter||14A Scottish Light|
|14B Scottish Heavy||14C Scottish Export||15A Irish Red Ale|
|15B Irish Stout||15C Irish Extra Stout||16A Sweet Stout|
|16B Oatmeal Stout||16C Tropical Stout||16D Foreign Extra Stout|
|17A British Strong Ale||17A1 Burton Ale||17B Old Ale|
|17C Wee Heavy||17D English Barleywine||18A Blonde Ale|
|18B American Pale Ale||19A American Amber Ale||19B California Common|
|19C American Brown Ale||20A American Porter||20B American Stout|
|20C Imperial Stout||21A American IPA||21B Specialty IPA|
|21B1 Belgian IPA||21B2 Black IPA||21B3 Brown IPA|
|21B4 Red IPA||21B5 Rye IPA||21B6 White IPA|
|21B7 New England IPA||22A Double IPA||22B American Strong Ale|
|22C American Barleywine||22D Wheatwine||23A Berliner Weisse|
|23B Flanders Red Ale||23C Oud Bruin||23D Lambic|
|23E Gueuze||23F Fruit Lambic||24A Witbier|
|24B Belgian Pale Ale||24C Biere de Garde||25A Belgian Blond Ale|
|25B Saison||25C Belgian Golden Strong Ale||26A Trappist Single|
|26B Belgian Dubbel||26C Belgian Tripel||26D Belgian Dark Strong Ale|
|27A Historical Beer||27A1 Gose||27A2 Piwo Grodziskie|
|27A3 Lichtenhainer||27A4 Roggenbier||27A5 Sahti|
|27A6 Kentucky Common||27A7 Pre-Prohibition Lager||27A8 Pre-Prohibition Porter|
|27A9 London Brown Ale||28A Brett Beer||28B Mixed Fermentation Sour Beer|
|28C Wild Specialty Beer||29A Fruit Beer||29B Fruit and Spice Beer|
|29C Speciality Fruit Beer||30A Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer||30B Autumn Seasonal Beer|
|30C Winter Seasonal Beer||31A Alternative Grain Beer||31B Alternative Sugar Beer|
|32A Classic Style Smoked Beer||32B Specialty Smoked Beer||33A Wood-Aged Beer|
|33B Specialty Wood-Aged Beer||34A Clone Beer||34B Mixed-Style Beer|
|34C Experimental Beer||C1A New World Cider||C1B English Cider|
|C1C French Cider||C1D New World Perry||C1E Traditional Perry|
|C2A New England Cider||C2B Cider with Other Fruit||C2C Applewine|
|C2D Ice Cider||C2E Cider with Herbs/Spices||C2F Specialty Cider/Perry|
|M1A Dry Mead||M1B Semi-Sweet Mead||M1C Sweet Mead|
|M2A Cyser||M2B Pyment||M2C Berry Mead|
|M2D Stone Fruit Mead||M2E Melomel||M3A Fruit and Spice Mead|
|M3B Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Mead||M4A Braggot||M4B Historical Mead|
|M4C Experimental Mead||PRX1 Dorada Pampeana||PRX2 IPA Argenta|
|PRX3 Italian Grape Ale||PRX4 Catharina Sour||PRX5 New Zealand Pilsner|
Number of Bottles Required Per Entry: 2
Judging Session Locations and Dates
Medals will be awarded to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in each category/table. Prizes will not be handed out at the awards ceremony.
The 1st place entry in each category will advance to the Best of Show (BOS) round with a single, overall Best of Show beer selected. BOS, Runner up BOS, and Second Runner up BOS will be announced.
We will also be awarding the following awards at the Closing Ceremony:
Best of Show (Awarded to the Single Best Beer)
Home Brewer of the Year (Must score a total of at least 30 points to qualify)
Ales Member of the Year
Mead Maker of the Year
Cider Maker of the Year
Points are earned as Follows:
Gold Medal = 3 Points
Silver Medal = 2 Points
Bronze Medal = 1 Point
Brewer of the Year Circuit!!
All entries are automatically entered into the Brewer of the Year circuit! Brewer of the Year qualifies BJCP sanctioned homebrew competitions for an annual Canadian circuit. BOTY tracks the points of winning entrants in each category, ranking the winners throughout the season. They also track the total Best of Show points for individual entrants in BOS rounds. Lastly, they track and rank the total points for homebrew clubs in Canada.
For more info, please visit their website at: https://www.breweroftheyear.com/
***Please ensure all your personal information is 100% correct when registering for the Ales Open as the info you provide is what we will provide for the Brewer of the Year***